Stories about: Choking

Dangers of button batteries

Lois K. Lee, MD, MPH of Children’s Hospital Boston’s Emergency Department Injury Prevention Program will be featured on ABC’s Nightly News later this week as part of a segment on the dangers of ‘button batteries.’ In an effort to better inform our readers, Lee wrote a Thrive post specifically detailing the dangers these tiny batteries pose to kids, and offers tips for parents on how to help keep their children safe from accidentally ingesting of one.

Lois Lee, MD, MP
Lois Lee, MD, MPH

Working in the very busy emergency room here at Children’s Hospital Boston, I have unfortunately had to take care of many children who have placed foreign objects in their noses or ears, or have swallowed a foreign object like a coin. Inevitably, parents usually ask me, “Why did they do it?” Often, the only answer I can give them is, “Because they can.”

Read Full Story

Don’t run with food in your mouth! And other choking prevention tips

Candy Can BoyLois Lee, MD, MPH works in Children’s Emergency Department Injury Prevention Program

Hot dogs, popcorn, gum, candy, marshmallows—These may seem like fun delicious foods to most people, but to young children under the age of 3 they are potential choking hazards that can even lead to death. These foods are about the size of a young child’s airway and can cause a blockage which can be fatal if the child can’t breathe.

Read Full Story