Other children’s health stories we’ve been reading:
- School officials are preparing for swine flu, with many schools planning to offer in-school vaccinations, in possibly “the most widespread school vaccinations since the days of polio.” Where will your children be vaccinated?
- On Friday, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino will hold a health summit with city, school, health and business leaders to prepare the city for swine flu.
- The nation’s largest autism advocacy group says there’s no link between thimerosal, a mercury preservative used in certain vaccines, and autism.
- An New York Times article looks at the costs of living with celiac disease. For a parent’s perspective, check out Conquering celiac disease by Tara Taft. How have you and your family dealt with celiac disease?
- According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, the number of U.S. med students choosing primary care has dropped 51.8% since 1997.
- A new study finds that childhood cancer survivors are more likely to develop diabetes than their siblings, especially if treatment involved radiation.